FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE—May 23, 2006
Contact: Chris Whitmire
Phone: (803) 734-9070
WHO MAY VOTE ABSENTEE IN THE JUNE 13 PRIMARIES?
Registered voters who are:
- Students, their spouses and dependents residing with them
- Members of the Armed Forces, Merchant Marines, Red Cross, USO, government employees, their spouses and dependents residing with them
- For reasons of employment, not able to vote on election day
- Physically disabled persons
- Persons on vacation
- Persons age 65 or older
- Persons admitted to the hospital as emergency patients on day of election or at least four days prior to the election
- Electors with a death or funeral in the family within 3 days before the election
- Persons confined to a jail or pre-trial facility pending disposition of arrest or trial
- Persons attending sick or physically disabled persons
- Certified poll watchers and poll managers
REQUESTING AN ABSENTEE BALLOT
Qualified voters must request an absentee ballot from the voter registration office in the county in which they are registered. The request can be made in person, by phone, by mail, by e-mail, or by fax. A member of the voter’s immediate family or an authorized representative may make the request for the voter, except by phone. (An authorized representative is a registered voter who, with a voter's permission, can request an absentee ballot application on behalf of a voter who qualifies because of illness or handicap. Candidates and paid campaign workers, who are not family, may not serve as an authorized representative.) When applying, voters must indicate in which party’s primary they wish to vote.
ABSENTEE VOTING DEADLINES
Applications for absentee ballots for the June 13 Primaries must be received by the county voter registration office by 5:00 p.m., Friday, June 9.
Absentee ballots must be received by the voter registration office by 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, June 13.
Qualified voters may vote absentee in person at their county voter registration office up until 5:00 p.m. on Monday, June 12.
For a complete listing of county voter registration office contact information, visit www.scvotes.org and click on “Absentee Voting.” To check the status of your absentee ballot click on “Your Absentee Ballot.”