Hurricane Forces Closure of Midlands, Coastal County Election Offices
COLUMBIA, S.C. (October 4, 2016) - To help ensure voters are prepared for the November 8 General Election, the State Election Commission wants to remind everyone of the upcoming voter registration deadline. Also, citizens along South Carolina's coast need to make sure they are registered now in advance of the approaching storm and impending deadline.
TO VOTE IN THE 2016 GENERAL ELECTION, YOU MUST BE REGISTERED BY OCTOBER 8.
While Hurricane Matthew has forced 26 county offices to close (complete list below), voters still have various options to register before the deadline:
- Register online at scVOTES.org (requires SC Driver's License or DMV ID Card) before midnight on Saturday
- Register using the My scVOTES mobile application, available now in the Apple and Google Play stores (requires SC Driver's License or DMV ID Card)
- Download a voter registration form from scVOTES.org. Complete and return the form to your county voter registration and elections office :
- By mail (postmarked by October 8)
- By fax (received by October 8)
- By email attachment (received by October 8)
- In person at your county voter registration and elections office
Anyone in the following categories must register in their county of residence by the deadline:
- Anyone who is not currently registered to vote in their county of residence
- Any voter who has moved from one county to another and has not yet registered in their new county
- Any voter who has moved to South Carolina from another state and has not yet registered in South Carolina
Complete list of county election offices closed through Saturday: